At Beyond The Corals, we are AWARE of our role in helping the environment. The PADI AWARE Foundation harnesses the collective influence of divers and the dive industry to tackle major threats to the marine environment. That is why we take the responsibility to educate and communicate about nature conservation and how you as a diver can be a marine ambassador as well.
For more than 30 years, PADI and AWARE have united to protect the underwater world and have set ambitious ocean conservation targets including taking action against climate change, creating marine protected areas, and protecting vulnerable species.
PADI AWARE’s goals include:
- Reducing marine debris by 50% in targeted countries through partnerships and PADI AWARE’s Community Grant Program.
- Reducing the number of sharks and ray species threatened with extinction by 25%.
- Achieving carbon neutrality across the PADI organization and funding seagrass and mangrove habitats to offset carbon.
- Restoring 5% of coral reef habitats through citizen science programs and project funding.
- Protecting 30% of the ocean by 2030 through partnership collaboration and Adopt The Blue.
One way to contribute to these goals, is by enrolling in one of the PADI AWARE specialty courses we offer such as Divers Against Debris or Shark Conservation. To help us restore coral reefs, you can enrol in the unique PADI Reef Renewal Diver specialty. Find out more about PADI AWARE on their website.